When the Countryside Alliance Game to Eat campaign asked me for a game recipe for the BBQ, this little Moroccan number came straight to mind. Cue the first warm Exmoor evening (oxymoron alert) the rust was scraped off and the old bird fired up once more…only to return next day to repose until the next warm Exmoor evening…in a few months…perhaps…
1. Mix all the ingredients together for the Minted Yoghurt and set aside.
2. Mix all the ingredients for the Salsa together and leave to macerate.
3. Gently fry the onion (reserving 1tbsp for the salsa) in olive oil with a good pinch of salt until softened.
4. Add the garlic, cumin seeds, pepper and mixed spice and fry for a further minute.
5. Add the sugar and Worcester sauce and let reduce a little.
6. When cooled, mix well with the venison, pistachios and herbs.
7. Shape into sausage shapes around a skewer.
8. BBQ for 2 ½-3 minutes each side until just cooked.
9. Serve the koftas in the flatbreads along with the salsa and yoghurt, and some green salad.